Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mono Mom-O Hits the Coast (and her pillow)....

Well friends, it’s been a super-dee-duper busy week since I last posted, what with a baby’s birthday, Thanksgiving, traveling across Texas, rounds of sickness, a trip to the ER for Bman and then mom (that would be me) getting diagnosed with an immunodisaster.  That’s code for:  I have mono, which basically means I have run my immune system into the ground and it’s giving me a good whipping in return.  It seems that high levels of stress, lack of sleep and not enough vitamins and minerals can actually shut your body down.  Who knew??  Apparently I am a lot weaker than I thought, because I know LOTS of moms out there who run on only Starbucks and McDonald’s for fuel and manage perfectly well with 4 hours of sleep and some really good under-eye cream. 

Anyway, I have been told to get lots of rest (ha!!), lots of fluids (does coffee count?) and take as much off my plate as possible (I’ll skip the carbs).  I would like to know which Disney fairy-land school these doctors attended, because everyone knows that a mother does not have the time nor extra effort it takes to do any of those things.  Well, ok, maybe it’s not that hard to drink extra water.  But sleeping and skimping on responsibilities?  Forget about it.  What really stinks is that during a season of plates piled high with caloric goodness, trans-fats and enough sugar to put you in a diabetic coma, all of which I can’t refuse, I’ve been told I can’t work out. Can’t. Work. Out.  If I do, something horrible could happen, like my spleen (which is temporarily enlarged) could burst and then I'm in a real pickle.  Well, I don’t know about my spleen, but my butt says this is a real problem, especially since my jeans now look like I’m wearing the ones from high school. 

So, my December resolution is to just revel in the delights of the season, and worry about getting back in shape in January.  They tell me this mono thing can hang around for months, and I’m already into month two, so hopefully the worst is behind me.  Well, it actually is, if you go back to the butt thing…..

Anyway, please understand that this new blogging venture is not something I’m going to “take off my plate,” but it may have to be something I put on the back burner for a month or two.  I love writing and I’m still going to journal the thoughts that I can’t stand letting go to waste, but some nights, I’m probably going to prefer the fluff, fluff of my pillow over the hum, hum of the computer.  

Now, for something more cheerful, here are some pics from our (awesome!) trip to my dad's house on the coast for Thanksgiving, which included uh-mazing food, hours of fishing, a toasty bonfire, Girl Scout badge-worthy s'mores and silly driveway chalk silhouhettes.  Please note the astonishing resemblance of me to the chalk drawing labeled "Mom" - I mean, my hair-do is the bomb.  I know the photo layout sucks, but guess what - I still haven't figured out how to change the settings.







     


And now, if you’ll excuse me, the fluff, fluff of my pillow is calling.

2 comments:

  1. I am looking at that yellow boat Ed is driving...he built one just like that way back before you were born...is that the same boat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea - I'll have to check!

    ReplyDelete