Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The 7th Day of Christmas Brings: Ornamental Change

Well it’s all things Christmas around our house (at least on the inside), and the boys are as rowdy as ever, since the time change and rapidly dropping temperatures in the evening mean it’s too dark and cold to expel any energy outside.  So, my faithful couch pillows take the brunt of their pent-up boyish aggression, serving as weapons, airborne missiles, cannonball absorbers and fort-building materials all in one.  And, as much mystery goop as I’ve had to wipe off my couch and love seat, thank God we decided on leather some years ago. 

I did something new this year and bought an Advent calendar.  I've always wanted one for my own kids, as I have very fond memories of receiving one each year from my grandparents with little chocolates tucked inside each little door representing the days of December.  I got a good one on sale at Pottery Barn (20% off plus free shipping) with pockets generous enough to hold goodies for three kids and made of a sturdy burlap material that won’t fall apart the first time someone tries to swing from it (I hope). 


As you can see from the photo, I’ve already discovered that we can only utilize the top two rows at this point, because anything placed lower = free for the taking.  Try explaining “one a day” to a two or three year-old.  I did actually try, and also found out it didn’t work too well.  But, they can start to get the idea. Most of the pockets contain cookies or candy or inexpensive little toys I found at various stores (the whoopee cushions for $1 a piece were a BIG hit – go figure!)  The novelty is at its peak now, and my plan as we descend further into the month is to make the final week, or at least the final day, a charitable opportunity.  I’m still mulling over the various possibilities.

My mother-in-law (who I miss dearly) was an all-out Christmas aficionado and we inherited many of her seasonal treasures, including hand-made bead ornaments like this one.


I try to buy a few (meaningful) new ones each year, and happened upon this adorable nest with three eggs (perfect!) – had to have it, and it was only $3 at Pier 1. 


I also found three white, feathery angel wing ornaments there for $1.95 a piece.  That place is decorated to the hilt – I could have spent hours just browsing. 

Anyway, I went to place the new ones on the tree the other evening once six little eyes were shut, the house was quiet and a steaming cup of decaf coffee was warming my hand, and realized someone (or some ones) had so creatively rearranged various ornaments for me.  Upon closer inspection, I realized that not only had ornaments been moved, but they had been broken and then “disguised” (I’m guessing that was the idea) to look like completely new ornaments.  One broken glass ball had been “fixed” with a plastic toy vehicle sitting on top of it, and I found other similar artistic re-workings of broken or missing ornaments.


All in all, I counted two broken glass spheres, a broken Santa, a disfigured gold star and three ornament hangers with no ornament attached – said ornaments still MIA and unaccounted for. 


In their place, I found little toy cars, a small plastic cow, a miniature plastic farmer guy and some hardened mysterious matter – possibly a play-doh creation.  At first I was infuriated, but that soon turned to amusement and then laughter as I realized that whoever did it had a streak of inventiveness to make such a whole-hearted attempt at masking the evidence of foul play. 

Obviously, having plastic toy cars and farm animals stand in for ornaments worked quite nicely for a few days, because I didn’t notice any observable gaps in the tree where my charming ornaments once hung. 

My kids can sometimes be naughty with a streak of brilliance.  Is there a middle column on Santa’s list?



signature

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is too precious of a story! I love it!

    Great memory, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was eating lunch, I stumbled upon your blog. I remember hearing about it, but for whatever reason did not read it. I read your most recent post and was hooked! I have now read them all and feel the same as I do every Wednesday night after Modern Family is over...(ready for the next one)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lann! You just made my whole day! And we laugh our butts off at Modern Family. Cam is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to give my niece, the mother of a 2andsome year old boy, your address. She will feel totally at home here.

    Thanks for sharing a wonderful story.

    buffy
    arrrgh@redeaglespirit.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The combo of hilarious chronicle of creative munchkins and striking photos of Christmas decorations = delicious holiday entertainment for this grandmother!

    ReplyDelete