Tuesday, November 23, 2010

To My Third On His Second

Dear “Little” Wee-man,

On this day two years ago, you came into this world and stole my heart with your pink chubby cheeks and crystal blue eyes. 

I took one look at you and knew you were going to complete our life and our family.  I beam with pride at your growth and progress, and yet I feel a twinge of sadness, because I know with each passing birthday the small baby years for me as a mother come closer to an end.  Oh yes, there will be more years of childish play and boyish laughter that will fill the rooms of our home, and I will cherish every one, but I say goodbye to the tiny boy of yesterday.  As a mom, this is a rite of passage I cannot skip, rewind or replay, and that hurts a little. 

There are so many things I want for you in this world.  And so many things you will miss out on, too.  Like the way your Mema would have bounced you on her knee while singing some little tune, laughing all the while.  The way your Baba would have taught you to pick a guitar or tune an old violin.  The way your Grannie would have sat you right up on her kitchen counter while she baked and baked all day, letting you “help” by licking every bowl clean and telling you in between each one, “I love you, little boy.” 

These are things I wish I could grant you, because these are people that loved you without even knowing you.  They loved you because they loved me, and they knew that someday I would have children of my own and pass on to them the same love and family memories they bestowed on me.  I miss them every day.

But, here is what you will know, my love.  You will know that your Grandma had a dream about you before you were even a glint in my eye, and that when she told me I was going to have a third boy and that he would be named what you are, it was prophecy.  You will know that she was in the room when you were born, and she cried while I cried.  You will know that your father shed tears too, and he did so both out of happiness and because his own mother could not witness such a miracle nor hold you in her arms.  You will know that your big brother loves and protects you and thinks you are amazing. 

You will know that your Aunt Memmie loves you as her own and would risk everything for your well-being.  You will know that your Aunt Lala beams from ear to ear when you run to her with true love and joy on your face.  You will know that your Grandpa and Grandma Pete think you hung the moon and stars and that they would drive across Texas for you in a split second.  And mostly, you will know that you were an absolute blessing and surprise to a mother and father who didn’t think they would have a third little soul to share life with.

But here you are, and I love you.  Thank you for filling my heart and our home with your beautiful presence for as long as I have you as my own.  Someday you will go on to do wonderful things and the ties that bind us will stretch a little, but I know I will always have the memories of today, yesterday, last month, last year.  The ones of a chubby little boy with an outstretched hand and an angelic laugh that is music to my ears, ready to conquer whatever awaits us.  I will hold your hand and I will walk with you however long you let me.

 Happy Birthday, Wee-man. 

I Love you,
Mom





























2 comments:

  1. I love the pics and yes, I love when he runs to me or laine with open arms... He is so sweet. I will also in later years miss my favorite game of "my bwanket" It makes me laugh every single time he says it... and it never gets old. His smile has always made me smile.. especially his baby smile with no teeth and the widest gummy grin I have ever seen. There is not another like him and I love him dearly. Hgappy Birthday sweet little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet William - Thank you for giving me a sneak peek long before anyone believed you were on your way!

    Happy Birthday, Wee Man. I love you!

    ReplyDelete