Monday, November 8, 2010

Once Upon a Birthday

Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham, Field of Dreams:
"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening."

True words, my friends, true words.  Here I sit on the eve of a 30-something birthday, and I find myself finally embarking on a journey I've wanted to begin for some months now but haven't found the time or conviction to set words to ink, so to speak.  I've been fidgeting at the edge of the diving board, hesitant to dive into the deep end.  There are words at the bottom of the pool, and I figure if I take the plunge, they'll come into focus.  My mom is a fabulous writer, and I inherited the same love of words, not to mention the ability to get lost in a bookstore or library for hours, but does this make me worthy of publishing the constant stream of thoughts swimming through my head on a daily basis?  Maybe it just makes me a literary nerd.  Well, so what.  You love what you love.  And, being 30-something means that I'm totally okay with embracing all sides of myself.  It just means that while enjoying a major league baseball game, I also want to read every inscription at the stadium that might contain some magic link to the past. 

But I digress.  The main reason I'm here, the catalyst for finally embracing this challenge: three small men that reside both in my heart and in my home.  I am starting this blog not so much so that other people read about what goes on in our lives or in my head - although I love the thought of sharing life and ideas - but so that I feel committed to recording moments of everyday significance that are passing us by like cars on the highway.  I would like to put each one in reverse so that I can start from the beginning, but I think that starting now is better than not starting at all.  I want my boys to someday be able to read these (mostly) unedited journal entries of their young lives and their mom's perspective on things - the good, the bad, the funny, the sad - although I will emphasize the comedic, because they are truly miniature versions of the three stooges, and who doesn't need a good laugh these days.  I have mulled over starting this, not starting it, using our names, not using our names, using our photos, not using our photos, and I'm just going to stop thinking and start writing.  What will be will be, and I hope it is something that lives and breathes and continually inspires me.  It's going to take me some time to figure out the myriad of options for settings, photos, color schemes and what the heck a "gadget" is, so please be patient.  I'll (hopefully) get the hang of it.  I actually figured out how to put a music playlist AND a photo on here, so voila.  Progress.  

Thank you Mom - for bringing me into this beautiful world at 8:11 on 11:8 and for inspiring me to blog.  And thanks to my friend and fellow Scorpio Lisa (yes, we are horoscopically matched), who reminded me that the best material I am ever going to get for writing about family life is right here, right now, and that I should embrace it.  I should celebrate it.  And I am going to.  Happy birthday, me.


My awesome WonderWoman coffee mug and Gman's artwork. 
I can do this.


 

4 comments:

  1. Your brilliance is definitely in your writing, not the title ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good starting point! A birthday!

    I love the title, it fits perfectly. I wished I had started a journal "way back when". Trying to write from memories long past is confusing and not very accurate as time can soften, melt and distort actual events.

    Just have fun, and I would suggest you print out those posts you feel are important for your boys to remember. Print on paper and store in a notebook because who knows what electronic format will exist in the future? Just a suggestion...

    The only other drawback to this public and electronic format - you miss the intimacy of a real handwritten journal. I have seen some bloggers actually hand write a post, scan it as an image, then insert. Kinda roundabout, but it accomplishes the more personal connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom sent me over to see your new venture. You will have more followers than you know what to do with once you are discovered.

    Your writing is excellent and with 3 stooges for inspiration you will never lack for subject matter.

    Happy Birthday and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'all are the best - thank you! I have a long way to go but am looking forward to the journey!

    ReplyDelete