Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday Night Smile

What a great weekend.  Do you ever go to bed on Sunday night with a smile still lingering on your face from the soul-nourishing events of the past 48 hours?  I love it when one of those weekends sneaks up on you.  It usually takes me by complete surprise, because it's often the days when I don't have all that much planned for us in the way of memory-making.

Today was amazing - I got to recharge my batteries with some fabulous college friends that I can always count on to make me laugh.  The mojitos and margaritas flowed, the stories turned heads at other tables (oops, guess we shouldn't talk about waxing at brunch), mascara was smeared (in a good way) and I enhaled some majorly delicious spinach-cheese enchiladas.  Afterwards I walked over to Starbucks to get my usual and it was perfectly concocted.  I went home refueled.  Sometimes a mama just needs that.

I also got a major case of the giggles Saturday night - I experienced something I never have before, which was accompanying five boys ages 6-7 (along with the birthday boy's parents) to the movies.  We went to see the new Harry Potter flick.  When you get this many little men together for a birthday party, I quickly figured out it can get pretty crazy.  Living with three monkeys of course leaves me fairly comfortable with the crazy factor, but holy cow.  You get five of them the same age and comparable mental/physical capacity, and you have The View on a sugar high meets Gladiator with nerf guns.  If somone wasn't talking or yelling, they were hitting or punching.  I was constantly trying to figure out where to look and who to listen to.

The five of them sat in the row in front of the three of us, and I'm sure everyone thought it was either a) hilarious or b) annoying that we kept having to lean over to tell someone to be quiet, tell another to keep their hands to themselves, or, in one case, settle an argument over whether a snake in the movie was a king cobra or anaconda.

The ride home was just as entertaining.  The five of them sat in the back while my friend drove, and we heard the following conversation topics for 25 minutes:

"Who cut the cheese?"
"OMG, you cut the cheese!"
"Drop it down low, low, low - EVERYBODY dance!"
"Who farted during the movie?  Oh wait, we can't say the F word."
"You wanna hear the entire list of who I'm inviting to my birthday party in a few months?"
"Blah Blah and Blah Blah sittin in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g"
"Guess who cut the cheese?"

Bathroom humor ranks up there as, oh, I'd say number one in their book. 

I won't give anything away, but the movie was a little darker and edgier than the last few - this has been the trend with HP all along.  I was worried something about it might bother Gman, but he didn't seem fazed by any of the scary parts, which is his usual take on stuff he knows is fake.  BUT (and without divulging too much), there is a quick love scene that alludes to nudity without showing any vital body parts.  Nobody mentioned it though, so I assumed it had totally subsided to a subconscious level.

Yeah right.  That would be way too easy.

This evening I walk in Gman's room to tuck him in and say goodnight, and he is madly thumbing through pages in the last book of the HP series. 

I said,"Hey, what are you doing there sport?" 

He turned around and said, "Well, I'm trying to find that part where they're naked.  I know it's got to be in here somewhere.  What stinks is that I can't read most of these words, so I'm gonna need you to look it up and read it to me." 

So much for my assumption.  Luckily he can't read most of HP because it's about 4th grade level minimum, and he's not there yet.  I took the book and did a quick flip through and said, "Well, whaddya know, that part's not actually in the book."

Sue me for the little white lie.  I have no idea if that part is in there or not, but if it is, I have another few years before he figures it out.....I hope.  

Goodnight, friends.  Mama's going to bed with a smile on her face.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that none of the scary parts seemed to phase him, but Its hilarious to me that the one "love scene" is the one he asks you about LOL and yes, the were most def naked LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - read me the naked part. LOL

    I am reading the book right now, and nope, there is no explicit naked scene. I think Hollywood was just doin' it's usual.

    I am surprised that JKR let that scene ride...

    "Drop it down low, low, low - EVERYBODY dance!"

    (I am remembering that little red-headed boy who has the YouTube videos and dancing...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garrett's lyrics to that song used to be "Gross, Gross, Gross, Gross....." tee hee!!

    And, oh my! Bieber fever!

    Please hug and thank your boys for the many smiles, laughs, and tear streaked cheeks. <3

    ReplyDelete