Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Seven Going on Seventeen

G-man is two days away from turning seven, but sometimes I feel like he's seven going on seventeen. 

The other night we were having one of our nightly chats, and he said, "Mom, the girls in my class really stress me out."  He said this while grabbing his hair in his fist to illustrate the frustration.

I tried really hard not to laugh and instead said, "Oh really, why is that?"

He said, "Well, they say I look like Justin Bieber, and they think he's cute or somethin', I don't know."

I sat there for a moment perplexed, because Justin Bieber has a round face, big brown puppy eyes and dark shaggy hair, and my son has a long face, bright blue eyes and stick-straight strawberry blonde hair.  I mean, they're both undeniably cute, but they look nothing alike.

I chuckled and said, "Well, maybe they just say that because they think he's cute, and they think you're cute, too."

His eyes got very big and he sat up and blurted out his new favorite phrase:  "ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

Tonight, he was lamenting that they get out early on Thursday for afternoon teacher conferences, but have to complete a full curriculum day on Friday, which I will agree doesn't make any sense, seeing how Friday starts off their week of spring break.

G-man: "You know Mom, you CAN check me out early if you want, you know.  On Friday."

Me: "Yes, I'm sure I can, but the school makes the rules about what days you need to be there."

G-man: "That is so STUPID!  Who do they think they are?  The school is not the boss of the world, you know." 

Me:  "Oh yeah?"

G-man: "Yeah.  They haven't read the rules, because you know who IS the boss of the world?"

I had no idea what was coming here, but said, "Who?"

G-man:  "God and Jesus, Mom, that's who.  God and Jesus."

What can I say?  The boy has a point.  The boy who is wise way beyond his years.

Seven going on seventeen...or maybe twenty-seven....

signature

2 comments:

  1. Uh oh, girls!

    Gonna get interesting now, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little boys -- a killer combo of vulnerability and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete